Sunday, August 14, 2011

Silly rabbit, glitter is for kids

Who in the world made the grand decision to bedazzle women’s footwear? Everywhere I look, I see high heels covered in pounds of glitter. Yes, I know this trend has been around since last year, but deep down I was hoping everyone would ignore it and thus force all glittered footwear to crawl into a hole and die. 

But someone has been feeding into this trend and now it's bigger than ever before.

All that glitters is not gold, people.

The only reason why I abhor sparkly shoes is because the consumer versions look so cheap and childish. Whenever I see a pair, I just can't escape the image of two little girls playing in sparkly fairy dust for a Tinkerbell-inspired birthday party. And to charge anything more than $5 for a shoe that was likely dipped in glue and glitter found at the local crafts store is just insulting. 

When I saw this Kate Spade Charm slingback pump, I immediately thought WWPHW - What Would Paris Hilton Wear? And that's not a good thing. To charge $325 for these pumps is absolutely unforgivable.



On the other hand, Miu Miu tackled this trend effortlessly on the runways and led the way for appropriate glitter execution. The strategic fabric placement,  brilliant curved heel and the fineness of the glitter created a beautiful bootie that I'd actually pay for if I could. But for $890, that likely won't be happening.

So unless I change my name to Ke$ha or someone gifts me a pair of Miu Miu kicks, I think I'll be leaving the glitter for the kids. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...